Thursday, December 13, 2007

We have a walker!

Just when I thought that I would never see this day come, yesterday, Mattie took her first steps. Just shy of 17 month old, she took about 5 or 6 steps, thought it was pretty fun and funny and then plopped down. She did it a couple of times before she called it quits for the day. Now, a little detail I did forget to mention is why she walked. Well, it was because she saw that mommy had a handful of M&M's. I wouldn't give her one until she stood up by herself, which she hadn't done until yesterday also. Then after she was standing I decided to up the stakes, give her a whole piece if she took steps towards getting them. HEY, WHATEVER WORKS. Don't knock my parenting skills just yet.

I was dreading the holidays around all of Mattie's cousins that were walking. I am so sick of everyone asking...is she walking? Or knowing kids younger than her that have mastered the skill. It really makes you feel like your parenting skills are sub-par at best when you have a late walker. I know have realized it doesn't matter the age, and you really shouldn't put pressure on parents by harping on them all of the time and asking why their children aren't walking. Like everyone says, they will do it in their own time.

So, my Mattie, I hope mommy didn't put too much pressure on you. I love you walking, crawling or just sitting. But I am sure glad you have joined the walkers club. The is a whole new world for you to explore and lots of mischief for you to get into.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly Renee! Kids will crawl, talk, walk and do whatever else whenever they feel like it, and that has nothing to do with your parenting skills!! you are a great mother :) I'm glad mattie is up on her feet now though, but you will be even busier :) Keep in touch! Cameron misses mattie!
TTYS!
~nicole~

Unknown said...

I am glad she is up and on her feet.... See you really soon. What does my bed look like?

Anonymous said...

Oh that's great Renee! I knew she'd be doing it anyday! She'll have you chasing her all around the house I'm sure! Nell

Anonymous said...

M&M's aren't considered a bribe at my house...they are part of the four food groups...:) Renee, I know exactly what you went through. Maegan just turned 8 in November and still can't ride her bike without her training wheels. All of her little friends can and when she sees them riding their bikes, she gets very upset with herself. However, I have tried to teach her that as long as she tries and allows herself to keep trying...she will ALWAYS be successful. No worries about your parenting skills....you are AMAZING!
Call me soon!!!
Stephanie